THANKS TO ALL THE ARTISTS WHO CONTRIBUTED TO THE SPEAK PEACE MKE 6X6 COMMUNITY COLLAGE, WHICH WAS DISPLAYED WITH THE TOURING SPEAK PEACE EXHIBITION AT THE DANCEWORKS GALLERY AND WAR MEMORIAL CENTER . YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS ARE VALUED, UNIQUE AND PRECIOUS.
SPEAK PEACE MKE 6×6 RESPONDERS
Speak Peace Chicago
Milwaukee C.J. Zablocki VA Medical Center, Staff & Veterans
Dryhootch, Inc., Milwaukee Veterans
Milwaukee Verterans for Peace, Inc.
UWM Multicultural Student Coalition, HSA, Campus Ministries, Dept of Art History
MPS Westside Academy II – Eighth Grade Class
Mount Mary College – Art Therapy Department
Edgewood College – Art Therapy Department
Marquette University Center for Peacemaking
Wisconsin Art Therapy Association, Inc.
Before the SPEAK PEACE exhibit arrived in Milwaukee, citizens responded in image-words to the exhibit imagery by creating piece by piece the SPEAK PEACE MKE 6×6 Community Exhibit. Over 160 6×6-inch canvases were collected, and are on display here and at the Danceworks Gallery during the SPEAK PEACE MKE tour.
Some of the canvases were made in collaboration with Speak Peace CHICAGO while the exhibition was at DePaul University in May 2012. Some of the canvases from the Speak Peace MKE-CHI projects will continue to be exhibited at different venues after Milwaukee.
Would you like to design your own SPEAK PEACE 6×6 Community Exhibit? As only one possibility, here are the submission guidelines we used:
1. Submit a 6×6-inch canvas board, which can be provided or you may use your own. To stimulate dialogue, you are encouraged to create a response to Speak Peace imagery with a small group on only one canvas board – tall task, tiny canvas!
2. After viewing the Speak Peace imagery online (www.speakpeace.net), create an image-word response to whatever moves you.
3. Use your media of choice, i.e., acrylic, stitchery, print, mixed media. If desired, add words, haiku, journaling. For safer display and transport, protect your artwork with a fixative, especially when using graphite, charcoal or pastels. Artwork must be less than 1/4” low relief, and affixed securely to the 6×6-inch canvas substrate.
4. Please do not sign your artwork. If desired, a title, poem, notes, date, label can be included on the canvas backside.
5. Your canvas will not be returned to you as it will be collaged into a larger-than-life communal piece, and shared with other Speak Peace communities. Visit the Speak Peace MKE blog often to see your canvas shape-shifted into a collective SPEAK PEACE MKE 6×6 art piece.